Friday, May 18, 2007

marc jacobs anonymous

Searching for gainful summer employment, I realized how badly I wanted to be a cool sales girl at a Marc Jacbobs' boutique. So I thought that I would give it a try and I wrote some of their people emails. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

...

Hello, My name is Alisa and I am a Marc Jacobs Addict.

"Welcome, Alisa. Please, go on..."

Yes, it's true. Do you know when an aesthetic gets under your skin so much so that you cannot distinguish it from your own? Well, that is what happened to me in the summer of 2003 when I found the perfect off-white, creamy cropped Marc Jacobs jacket on discount at Century 21. Let me back track a little bit. I was finished with my Sophomore year of college at Amherst, so glad to be back in New York, and recently dumped by my boyfriend. What was a girl to do? The obvious answer is to spend her rent on a jacket. That is just what I did and I have not regretted it for a single day. The jacket has seen me through numerous joys and disappointments. It, too, has stood it's ground through all of Marc's collections; from his luxe grunge to his lady-like sportswear chic, this jacket would fit in to any of those collections without looking like the odd duck out of water. It attests to the timelessness of Marc's vision. While the overall design is young, fresh and casual, the jacket would look just as beautiful hanging on the shoulders of an 18 year-old as an 80 year-old. It hides all of my flaws. When a friend tries it on, it will hide her flaws, although they will be quite different than mine. Slowly, more of Marc's influence made me aware of my addiction. His fragrances make me giddy, his accessories make me drool and his ubber cool life and friends and muses make me jealous. A week before the New York fashion shows Marc won me over for life. He put his merchandise on sale for 90% off (as if 70% off wasn't enough). If this is not charity, than I don't know what is (give me a break, I'm a student, for christ's sake). I can go on, about the burgundy buckle boots with the 4 inch heel that changed my life (and cost $150, thank you Marc). But I won't (not at too much length). Most importantly, owning things that are so beautiful make me feel ready to take on the world.

In my off-white jacket, I designed innovative clothing for dance and theater productions in college. I drapped them with very little experience (only later learning about Poiret's techinques) to astounding results. The Marc Jacob's jacket was constructed so beautifully and so logically that I looked at its seams at night for inspiration. In my burgundy boots, I stood in lines for fashion shows, getting several standing room tickets. I began writing about my experiences in a fashion blog and have an audience from around the world. Marc's clothing and accessories inspire very interesting lives, indeed. I would love to be part of the Marc Jacobs world. Please let me know if there is any need of a sales person in any of the New York boutiques. My passion for the stuff is real and I hope that you will give me a chance to prove myself. I want to make people as happy with their Marc Jacobs purchases as my purchases have made me. If you need any additional information, please feel free to contact me.

Yours Truly

...

Well, as they say, "here goes nothing."

If you had your choice of boutique to work in, which one would you choose and why?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few things to consider,

I have a friend that works in one of the shops. This person spent almost a year begging for their current job while working else where. Finally they got it and are happy as a clam [although, do we really know if clams are happy?] but this was with a lot of work on their end and calling and begging, etc etc. And the interesting part is this person has model good looks, so it's not about appearance. Like some people may think.

The sad part about this person, wh now has this job, is that they changed for the worst. I would strongly caution anyone that wants to work there because almost everyone that works there goes through this weird change. It's like a tight high school click [which is such a faux pas mj staff] and the rest of your friends get left out of it hardcore. It's not just my friend, but it's other people that have friends working there or have had friends working there. It's almost like a weird cult.

Sorry for taking up so much space. I just wanted to get that out there.

11:16 PM  
Blogger - said...

love your profile

4:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha, that's great. you could always share your experience, strength & hope... by telling what it was like, what happened, and what it is like now. (don't ask how i know this stuff.. but that's what they say in meetings)

i hate retail jobs, but i think if i were to do some kind of sales job, i'd love to work at white cube gallery in london.
:)

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So.... did you ever get hired?

I am moving to NYC from LA and have ALWAYS wanted to work retail for MJ or MMJ! I'm not exactly sure why, but I have always been drawn to it!

Let me know how it went, and if you get the job let me know if there are any positions opening up!!! PLEASE!

(BTW, I am writing this from my Boyfriend's computer so it might show his name, but I am a girl fo sho!

Hearts,

Clare

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page