Tuesday, April 03, 2007

my humps: gaultier's lessons




Bonjour mes amis!
I am in Paris, safe and sound after airplane delays and a broken ATM card. Today I happily stumbled upon Jean Paul Gaultier's costume design for Regine Chopinot's performance peice, "Le Defile" at the Musee de la Mode et du Textile. Here are some notes:
1. Alexander McQueen, eat your heart out. Body morphing creations were alive and well in the 80's. And I don't just mean shoulder pads.
2. Tutus can be worn anywhere.
3. Grandmothers are hot. So are babies.
4. Erogenous zones and animals have more in common than you think.
5. Wear your sexuality on your sleeve. Literally.
6. Dance is much better when the costume designer is Gaultier.
7. I'm going to get a crepe and cafe creme. au revoir!





4 Comments:

Blogger Bobble Bee said...

wow this exhibition looks so amazing! JPG does really kick ass with creativity

12:58 AM  
Blogger Madelene said...

I went to the exhibition two weeks ago, although I've never been a big Gaultier fan. I especially loved the way it was layed out - minimalistic. It was a nice contrast to the clothes, and made them feel a lot less "in your face".

12:39 PM  
Blogger F.M. said...

I think this is where Gaultier really hits his mark - in clothes that are costumes.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Mark Willis said...

Thanks for pointing me to your post, odilean. I want to go to this museum next time I'm in Paris. It will be hard to behave like a proper museum visitor and not try to touch the sumptuous textures!

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page